Chadwick Bureau maintain a master register of people who have been involved in baseball, including identifiers in many major identifier systems, where known. The scope of the register includes all people whom the Bureau has confirmed to have been a player, manager, or umpire in a regulation professional game at any level. This includes:
- North American-based professional leagues, including those in the National Association/Minor League Baseball ™ and modern (post-1993) independent leagues
- Winter Leagues (Latin America and Australia) from 2005-present
- The top-level Japanese league (NPB), since 1936
- The top-level of the Korean Baseball Organization, 1982-present
- The Cuban National Series, 1997-present
- Negro Leagues including major Negro independent clubs (noting that records on Negro baseball are often sketchy, making this subset particularly likely to be revised substantially over time)
In addition, from Spring 2014, the Register will include entries for players and coaches from college baseball. These are primarily those with recent Division I experience, including all players in 2013. Coverage of this population is intended to improve over time.
The register also includes entries for some non-players, including all members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, all people who have been the subjects of SABR BioProject essays, as well as other off-field personnel for Major League Baseball clubs.
Contents of the file
The file contains basic name components, bats/throws/height/weight, as well as dates and places of birth and death, and cemetery information. Also provided are year spans for playing, managing, and umpiring. These are given for professional leagues overall, and Major League Baseball specifically. Separate spans are reported for intercollegiate play.
Cross-references are provided against several identifier systems:
- key_uuid: The primary key, providing the most stable reference to a person. Guaranteed not to be re-issued to a different person in the future.
- key_person: The first eight (hex) digits of the key_uuid. It is guaranteed that this is unique at any given time. However, should a person’s record be withdrawn from the register, the same key_person may reappear referencing a different person in the future.
- key_retro: The person’s Retrosheet identifier.
- key_mlbam: The person’s identifier as used by MLBAM (for example, in Gameday).
- key_bbref: The person’s identifier on Major League pages on baseball-reference.com.
- key_bbref_minors: The person’s identifier on minor league and Negro League pages on baseball-reference.com.
- key_bbpro: The person’s identifier on Baseball Prospectus.
- key_davenport: The person’s identifier in Clay Davenport’s system, as reported by Baseball Prospectus.
- key_fangraphs: The person’s identifier on fangraphs.com (Major Leaguers). As fangraphs uses BIS identifiers, this can also be used to match up people to BIS data.
- key_fangraphs_minors: The person’s identifier on fangraphs.com (minor leaguers).
- key_npb: The person’s identifier on the NPB official site, npb.or.jp.
- key_kbo: The person’s identifier on the Korean Baseball Organization site.
Terms and conditions
Chadwick Bureau makes this file available to the baseball community free of charge and with no restrictions, in the hopes that it will be useful. We make only two requests of users of this data:
- If you use this information in any publication (whether print, blog post, discussion group post, etc.), please provide an acknowledgment to “Chadwick Baseball Bureau for use of their persons register.”
- If you find errors or omissions, please inform the maintainer at ted (dot) turocy (at) gmail (dot) com.
We will continue to make this data available on these terms as long as we have evidence it is useful, as measured by the amount of citations and feedback we receive.
The most recent version of the file was posted on January 30, 2015, and is available here.
This file is provided by Chadwick Bureau to the community in the hopes it will be useful. Chadwick Bureau is unable to provide general support in using the file.
The file will be updated “periodically.” Clients of Chadwick Bureau can receive more frequent updates or reports with greater or bespoke levels of detail.